- On 3 January 2020, an Iranian military commander was killed in a U.S. airstrike in Iraq. The incident led to increased tensions in the region.
- On 14 September 2017, suicide attacks occurred in the southern city of Nasiriyah, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 16 February 2017, a car bomb attack occurred in Baghdad, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 31 December 2016 and 2 January 2017, bomb attacks occurred in Baghdad, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 3 July 2016, car bomb attacks occurred respectively in two commercial districts in Baghdad, resulting in serious casualties.
- In May 2016, a series of bomb attacks occurred again in Baghdad, resulting in serious casualties.
- In mid August 2015, a truck bomb exploded in a market in north-eastern Baghdad.
- In mid October 2014, a series of bomb attacks occurred in Baghdad.
- In August 2014, violent clashes in northern part of Iraq intensified.
- In mid June 2014, there were violent clashes between security forces and militants for seizing Mosul, capital of Ninewah province, and Tikrit.
Iraq is not a popular destination for Hong Kong tour groups. Residents are urged to avoid all travel to the country. Those already there should attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents in Iraq who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in Iraq at consular protection hotline: (964) 7901912315.
(updated on 6 January 2020)
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories: