Admission Arrangements for Talent and Professionals

Hong Kong has an open immigration regime and welcomes talented people from around the world (including the Mainland of China) to work, live, study and invest in our city. Below is a quick guide to the avenues open to people interested in coming to Hong Kong.


For entry for employment as professionals, applicants can apply through the General Employment Policy (for non-Mainland residents) and the Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals (for Mainland residents) and are required to meet three key criteria:

Hong Kong
  • Possess good academic or technical qualification;
  • Have secured a job that cannot be readily taken up by the local workforce; and
  • Receive a remuneration package broadly commensurate with the prevailing market rate.

There is no quota, nor any restrictions on employment sector.


The Quality Migrant Admission Scheme seeks to expand Hong Kong& #39;s pool of human capital, and is aimed at those with special skills or talents that can contribute to the city& #39;s development. Under this scheme, talent in any area can apply to enter and settle in Hong Kong without first securing an offer of local employment.

Non-local Students and Graduates

Non-local students of full-time locally-accredited local programmes at degree level or above may apply under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates to stay for one year in Hong Kong to take up employment freely after graduation. Those who have previously graduated from full-time locally-accredited local programmes at degree level or above in Hong Kong may also apply to return to work, so long as the job is at a level commonly taken up by degree holders and offers market-rate remuneration.


Hong Kong

Foreign entrepreneurs (including start-up entrepreneurs) wishing to establish or join in a business in Hong Kong may also apply under the General Employment Policy.


Successful entrants may bring in their spouse and unmarried dependent children under the age of 18 to Hong Kong. The dependants& #39; length of stay will normally be linked to that of the sponsor and they are free to take up employment or study during their stay in Hong Kong.

After seven years of continuous ordinary residence, entrants and their dependants may apply for Hong Kong permanent resident status in accordance with the law.

For more information on the above, please visit the website of the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government:

1The "Capital Investment Entrant Scheme", which was designed for those who wish to invest in Hong Kong but not run any business, has been suspended since 15 January 2015. The Immigration Department will continue to process the applications received before the suspension.