Outbound Travel Alert  

Country OTA currently in force Supplementary Information


Residents who intend to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents should also avoid all non-essential travel to North Caucasus and areas along the border with Ukraine due to unpredictable security situation. Residents in Russia who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852) 1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in Russia at consular protection hotline: (7) 499-9518661.

  • On 19 May 2018, a gun attack occurred in Chechnya, resulting in casualties.

  • On 3 April 2017, an explosion occurred on a subway train in St Petersburg, resulting in serious casualties.

  • In late December 2013, suicide bomb explosions occurred at the railway station and on a trolleybus in the southern city of Volgograd, resulting in serious casualties.

  • In mid October 2013, a bomb exploded on a bus in the southern city of Volgograd, resulting in casualties.

  • In late January 2011, an explosion occurred at the Domodedovo Airport in Moscow. In end August 2011, bomb attacks occurred in Chechnya. After the Russian parliamentary elections on 4 December 2011, demonstrations took place in Moscow and other cities.

    [ current OTA issued on 25 January 2011, 21:00 ]

Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)

Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.

Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:

Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)

Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)

Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)

Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)

Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health

Relevant Press Releases