Residents who plan to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety, avoid travelling to places with large gatherings of people and pay attention to announcements by local authorities. Residents in Nepal who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in Nepal at consular protection hotline: (977) 9801037888.
- In late April 2016, anti-government demonstrations occurred in Kathmandu.
- In late September 2015, protests broke out in southern regions in Nepal. Blockade of the main border crossings between Nepal and India lasted for months, resulting in a series of clashes and casualties.
- On 25 April 2015, a powerful earthquake hit Nepal, resulting in massive damages and casualties in Kathmandu and Pokhara. Widespread disruptions to telecommunications, transport, essential services and infrastructure have been reported. Dangers of aftershocks and avalanches remain. Another major earthquake struck the east of Nepal on 12 May 2015, causing further damages and casualties.
- Frequent strikes and demonstrations occurred in mid May 2012.
- On 30 April 2012, an explosion in Janakpur, south-eastern Nepal, resulted in casualties.
- In late February 2012, an explosion in Kathmandu, capital of Nepal, resulted in casualties.
- In late March 2011, explosions occurred in Terai region in south Nepal.
- In mid 2010, anti-government demonstrations occurred across the country.
[ current OTA issued on 26 April 2016, 18:00 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)
Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health