Outbound Travel Alert  

Country OTA currently in force Supplementary Information


Residents who intend to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents should also avoid all non-essential travel to the northern and western states and areas along the border with the Mainland China, Laos and Thailand due to uncertain security situation. Residents in Myanmar who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852) 1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar at consular protection hotline: (95) 943209657.

  • There have been ongoing armed conflicts in Shan state. In August 2019, attacks on military facilities and civilian vehicle were reported, resulting in casualties.

  • There have been ongoing armed conflicts in Rakhine state. In June 2019, a navy vessel in Rakhine state was attacked, resulting in casualties.

  • In early October 2016, violent clashes occurred in Rakhine state, resulting in casualties.

  • In early July 2014, violent sectarian clashes occurred in Mandalay, resulting in casualties.

  • In late March 2013, serious violent clashes occurred in Meikhtila, Mandalay resulting in casualties.

  • In early June 2012, ongoing civil unrest and clashes occurred in Rakhine state. In late October 2012, violent clashes erupted in Rakhine state, resulting in casualties.

    [ current OTA issued on 11 June 2012, 18:15 ]

Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)

Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.

Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:

Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)

Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)

Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)

Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)

Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health

Relevant Press Releases