Outbound Travel Alert  

Country OTA currently in force Supplementary Information


Residents intending to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution and attend to personal safety. Residents should avoid all non-essential travel to the coastal regions of eastern Sabah due to the unpredictable security situation. Residents in Malaysia who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852) 1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General in Malaysia (Embassy consular protection hotline: (60)123429829; Consulate-General in Kuching hotline: (60)128861953).

  • In mid May 2015, armed men kidnapped a customer and the manager in a seaside restaurant in Sandakan located in the eastern state of Sabah in Malaysia.

  • On 9 October 2014, a grenade exploded in front of a pub in Jalan Bukit Bintang in Kuala Lumpur, resulting in casualties.

  • In early April 2014, armed men kidnapped a tourist and a staff in a resort in Semporna located in the eastern state of Sabah in Malaysia.

  • In mid November 2013, gunmen shot dead a tourist and kidnapped another on Pom Pom Island, a popular scuba-diving location in the eastern state of Sabah in Malaysia.

  • In early March 2013, clashes between the Malaysian military and armed group from the Sulu archipelago occurred in eastern Sabah, resulting in fatalities. On 7 March, the Malaysian Government announced that an area of eastern Sabah had been declared a "Special Security Area" where additional police and military forces were being deployed to this area. Residents are advised to avoid travelling to the coastal regions of eastern Sabah, especially the area covering Lahad Datu, Kunak, Semporna and Tawau, as well as nearby islands and diving sites, including Sipadan.

    [ current OTA issued on 5 March 2013, 20:30 ]

Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)

Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.

Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:

Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)

Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)

Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)

Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)

Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health

Relevant Press Releases