Residents intending to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents should avoid all travel to areas along the border with Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan and the Sistan-Baluchestan province bordering Pakistan due to the volatile security situation. Residents in Iran who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in Iran at consular protection hotline: (98) 912-2176035.
- On 22 September 2018, a gun attack occurred in Ahvaz of southwestern Iran, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 30 June and 1 July 2018, demonstrations turned into clashes with police forces in the Southwest Iran, resulting in injuries.
- Since late December 2017, large scale demonstrations have occurred across the country, resulting in casualties.
- On 7 June 2017, shooting attacks occurred in Tehran, resulting in casualties.
- Regional security issues persist. Clashes are affecting the borders with Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan from time to time.
- In mid-February 2011, anti-government demonstrations occurred in Tehran.
- In September 2010, bombings occurred in the border areas of Sistan-Baluchestan and West Azerbaijan provinces.
[ current OTA issued on 28 December 2009, 20:45 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)
Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health