Residents intending to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents in Indonesia who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy / Consulate-General in Indonesia: Embassy - (62) 215764135, Consulate-General in Surabaya - (62) 811311148, Consulate-General in Medan - (62) 82165631070 and Consulate-General in Denpasar - (62) 361239902.
- On 22 December 2018, Sunda Strait was hit by tsunami caused by activities of Mount Anak Krakatau, resulting in casualties. On 27 December 2018, the volcanic activity alert of Mount Anak Krakatau was raised to level 3 of the 4-level alert system.
- On 28 September 2018, Central Sulawesi was struck by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake and tsunami, causing serious casualties and damages. On 3 October 2018, Mount Soputan in Northern Sulawesi was reported to spew ash. The volcanic activity alert was raised to level 3 of the 4-level alert system.
- On 5 August 2018, Lombok was struck by a magnitude 7 earthquake. Multiple earthquakes and aftershocks of magnitude above 6 occurred thereafter. Serious casualties and damages have been resulted. There were reports of disruption in power and water supply.
- On 28 June 2018, the Mount Agung on the island of Bali began to spew volcanic ash and vapour higher than two kilometers into the air. The volcanic activity alert remained at level 3. Air traffic was temporarily suspended.
- On 16 May 2018, a knife attack occurred at a police station in Sumatra, resulting in casualties.
- On 13 and 14 May 2018, explosions occurred at three churches and a police headquarters in Surabaya, resulting in casualties.
- On 10 February 2018, the Indonesian authorities lowered the volcanic activity alert for Mount Agung on the island of Bali to level 3. Travellers should continue to follow the local announcements and stay outside the exclusion zone as imposed by the Indonesian authorities.
- On 27 November 2017, the Indonesian authorities raised the volcanic activity alert for Mount Agung on the island of Bali to the highest level of 4. Travellers should stay outside the exclusion zone as imposed by the Indonesian authorities and follow the local announcements.
- On 21 November 2017, the Indonesian authorities reported that Mount Agung began spewing clouds of gray smoke to a height of around 700 meters above the mountain's peak. The volcanic activity alert remained at level 3.
- On 22 September 2017, the Indonesian authorities raised the volcanic activity alert for Mount Agung on the island of Bali to the highest level of 4, indicating that an eruption could be imminent. On 29 October 2017, the Indonesian authorities lowered the volcanic activity alert to level 3.
- On 24 May 2017, explosions occurred near a bus station in Jakarta, resulting in casualties.
- On 14 January 2016, a series of explosions occurred in central Jakarta, resulting in casualties.
- In early November 2015, Mount Rinjani on Lombok erupted. Air traffic is affected and some airports including the international airports in Bali and Lombok were once closed.
- In early July 2015, Mount Raung in East Java erupted. Air traffic was affected.
- Political rallies were held in the period around the presidential elections on 9 July 2014.
- Protests in different cities in end March 2012.
- An explosion in Central Java on 25 September 2011 resulted in casualties.
- A bomb attack in West Java on 15 April 2011.
- Severe bomb explosions in Jakarta in July 2009.
[ current OTA issued on 20 October 2009, 11:00 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)
Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health