Outbound Travel Alert  

Country OTA currently in force Supplementary Information


Residents who plan to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety, avoid travelling to places of large gatherings of people and pay attention to announcements by local authorities. Residents in Germany who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852) 1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General in Germany (Embassy consular protection hotline: (49) 1736171063; Consulate-General in Frankfurt hotline: (49) 151-17129745; Consulate-General in Hamburg hotline: (49) 151-71998522; Consulate-General in Munich hotline: (49) 175-5452913).

  • On 20 July 2018, a knife attack occurred on a bus in Lubeck, resulting in injuries.

  • On 7 April 2018, a van drove into a crowd in Muenster, resulting in casualties.

  • On 19 December 2016, a truck barreled into a crowded Christmas market in Berlin, resulting in serious casualties.

  • On 24 July 2016, an explosion occurred in the southern city of Ansbach, resulting in casualties.

  • On 22 July 2016, gun attack occurred at a shopping centre in Munich, resulting in casualties.

  • On 18 July 2016, an axe attack occurred on a train near Wurzburg, causing serious injuries.

    [ current OTA issued on 23 July 2016, 11:30 ]

Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)

Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.

Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:

Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)

Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)

Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)

Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)

Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health

Relevant Press Releases