Outbound Travel Alert  

Country Information

  • Since mid February 2011, large-scale demonstrations and civil unrest in major Yemen cities resulted in casualties. In late May 2011, the security situation deteriorated with widespread armed clashes, resulted in serious casualties. Armed clashes between government and opposition are ongoing across the country. A number of foreigners have been kidnapped and killed. In early December 2013, an attack on the Ministry of Defence Hospital in Sanaa resulted in serious casualties. In September 2014, violent clashes intensified in Sanaa, resulting in serious casualties. In January 2015, a car bomb exploded in Sanaa. In mid March 2015, bomb attacks occurred at two mosques in Sanaa. In late March 2015, air strikes occurred in Sanaa, affecting major routes and airport services. In early September 2015, a bomb attack occurred at a mosque in Sanaa. These incidents resulted in serious casualties. The security situation in Yemen remains very tense and unpredictable.

    Yemen is not a popular destination for Hong Kong tour groups. Residents are urged to avoid all travel to the country. Those already there should leave the country immediately. Residents in Yemen who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General in Yemen (Chinese Embassy in Yemen consular protection hotline: 00967-738699915, Chinese Consulate-General in Aden consular protection hotline: 00967-771766021).

    (updated on 4 September 2015)

Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)

Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.

Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:

Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)

Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)

Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)

Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)

Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health