[Please also read Red OTA on Turkey]
Residents who intend to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people.
Residents in Turkey who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852) 1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in Turkey at consular protection hotline: (90) 5388215530.
- On 5 January 2017, a car bomb explosion occurred in the western city of Izmir, resulting in casualties.
- On 3 January 2017, the Turkish authorities extended the state of emergency for 3 months from 19 January 2017.
- On 3 October 2016, the Turkish authorities extended the state of emergency for 3 months from 19 October 2016.
- On 15 July 2016, a coup attempt occurred and armed clashes broke out in Ankara and Istanbul, resulting in casualties. On 20 July 2016, the Turkish authorities declared a state of emergency for 3 months.
- On 27 April 2016, a suicide bomb attack occurred near a mosque in the north-western city of Bursa, resulting in injuries.
[ current OTA issued on 28 November 2016, 13:00 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)
Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health