Residents intending to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents should also avoid all non-essential travel to areas along the border with Iran, Iraq and Syria due to unpredictable security situation. Residents in Turkey who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852) 1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in Turkey at consular protection hotline: (90) 5388215530.
On 10 October 2015, explosions hit a rally near the central train station in the capital city, Ankara, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 10 August 2015, bomb and gun attacks occurred in the south-eastern Sirnak province. In Istanbul, a car bomb exploded and the US Consulate General was attacked. These incidents resulted in casualties.
- On 20 July 2015, a bomb attack occurred in the town of Suruc close to the border with Syria, resulting in serious casualties.
- In early July 2015, demonstrations occurred in Istanbul with tourists being attacked by some demonstrators.
- In early January 2015, a suicide bomb attack occurred in a police station in Istanbul's tourist district, Sultanahmet, resulting in casualties.
- In early October 2014, demonstrations occurred in various parts of the country including Ankara and Istanbul. Violent clashes occurred in some eastern and southern provinces between demonstrators and the police, resulting in casualties.
- In late May 2014, demonstrations occurred in central Istanbul and Ankara. Police fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse the protesters.
- In early February 2013, an explosion occurred outside the US Embassy in Ankara, resulting in two casualties. In May 2013, 2 car bomb explosions occurred in the southern town of Reyhanli close to the border with Syria. The demonstrations and violent clashes which began in late May 2013 continued in the capital city, Ankara, Istanbul and other cities till June 2013. These incidents resulted in casualties.
- In August 2012, an explosion occurred in the city of Gaziantep, south-east Turkey. In September 2012, an explosion occurred in the Sultangazi district of Istanbul. An explosion also occurred in the eastern city of Tunceli in late September. In October 2012, the southern town of Akcakale (close to the border with Syria) was hit by shells. Ongoing attacks occurred in the southeast region of the country, bordering Syria, Iraq and Iran. These incidents resulted in casualties.
[ current OTA issued on 21 September 2012, 17:00 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)
Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health