Risk of attacks. Residents intending to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people.
- In late May 2014, demonstrations occurred in central Istanbul and Ankara. Police fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse the protesters.
- In mid June 2013, the demonstrations and violent clashes which began in late May 2013 continued in the capital city, Ankara, Istanbul and other cities in Turkey, resulting in casualties.
- In mid May 2013, 2 car bomb explosions occurred in the southern Turkish town of Reyhanli (close to the border with Syria), resulting in serious casualties.
- In early February 2013, an explosion occurred outside the US Embassy in Ankara, resulting in two casualties.
- In early October 2012, the southern Turkish town of Akcakale (close to the border with Syria) was hit by shells, resulting in casualties.
- In late September 2012, an explosion occurred in the city of Tunceli, eastern Turkey, resulting in casualties.
- In early September 2012, an explosion occurred in the Sultangazi district of Istanbul, resulting in causalities. Ongoing attacks occurred in the southeast region of the country, bordering Syria, Iraq and Iran, resulting in casualties.
- In late August 2012, explosion occurred in the city of Gaziantep, south-east Turkey, resulting in causalities.
[ current OTA issued on 21 September 2012, 17:00 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)