Ongoing violent clashes and explosions occurred throughout the country, resulting in serious casualties. Residents are urged to avoid all travel to the country. Those already there should attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents in Syria who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in Syria at consular protection hotline: (963) 944265018.
- On 15 April 2017, a suicide bomb attack occurred near the northern city of Aleppo, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 4 April 2017, air strikes hit the north-western province of Idlib, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 8 June 2016, air strikes hit medical facilities in the northern city of Aleppo, resulting in casualties.
- In late April 2016, air strikes hit buildings including a hospital in the northern city of Aleppo, resulting in serious casualties.
- In late February 2016, a series of explosion attacks occurred in the central city of Homs and Damascus, resulting in serious casualties.
- In mid and late December 2015, bomb explosions occurred in the central city of Homs, resulting in serious casualties.
- In late May 2015, militants took control of the city of Palmyra. Violent clashes had resulted in serious casualties.
- In early February 2015, heavy fighting occurred in Damascus, resulting in serious casualties.
- In 2014, there had been an increase in reported kidnappings of foreigners including NGO workers and journalists.
- In January 2013, a series of explosion attacks occurred in the northern city of Aleppo. In May 2013, Israeli air strikes hit Syrian military facilities near Damascus. In August 2013, rocket attacks occurred in the central city of Homs and there were also reports of conventional and chemical weapons attack in the suburbs of Damascus. These incidents resulted in serious casualties.
- In May 2012, there were explosions in southern suburb of Damascus. In November and December 2012, a number of car bomb explosions occurred in a south-eastern district of Damascus and Qatana, southwest of Damascus. Violent clashes occurred near the airport of Damascus, and air strike also occurred in Halfaya in the central Hama province. These incidents resulted in serious casualties.
[ current OTA issued on 26 April 2011, 16:15 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)
Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health