Residents intending to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Those in Kenya who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in Kenya at (254)719235543.
- In May 2016, protests over the electoral commission occurred in Kisumu, Mombasa and Nairobi, resulting in casualties.
- In early April 2015, gunmen attacked a university in Garissa, resulting in serious casualties.
- In late November 2014, a violent attack occurred on a bus in Mandera county near the Somali border, resulting in casualties.
- A curfew has been imposed at Lamu county from 20 July to 20 August 2014, from 6:30 pm to 6:30 am daily, amidst ongoing violent attacks.
- In early July 2014, violent attacks occurred at Lamu county and Tana River county, resulting in serious casualties. Separately, a tourist was shot in the head by robbers in Mombasa on 6 July 2014.
- In mid June 2014, gunmen attacked Mpeketoni town on the Kenyan coast, resulted in serious casualties.
- In May 2014, bomb attacks occurred in Nairobi and Mombasa, resulted in casualties. Some administrations have advised against all travel to border regions with Somalia, South Sudan and Ethiopia and against all non-essential travel to Mombasa and Eastleigh neighbourhood of Nairobi.
- In late April 2014, a car bomb exploded in Nairobi, resulted in casualties.
- In early January 2014, a grenade attack on a nightclub occurred in Diani (near Mombasa), resulted in injuries.
- In early June 2013, grenade attacks occurred in the capital city, Nairobi, and Mombasa, resulted in injuries. In mid September, an attack took place at the Westgate shopping centre in the capital city, Nairobi, resulted in serious casualties, including a number of foreigners. In mid December, a grenade attack on a bus occurred in the capital city, Nairobi, resulted in serious casualties.
- In 2012, an explosion in Mombasa in late June resulted in casualties. Attacks in Garissa in early July and clashes in Mombasa in late August resulted in casualties. From September to November, grenade attacks in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, and Likoni (in the coastal region near Mombasa) resulted in casualties.
[ current OTA issued on 25 June 2012, 17:00 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)
Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health