Outbound Travel Alert  

Country OTA currently in force Supplementary Information


Residents intending to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents in Indonesia who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy / Consulate-General in Indonesia: Embassy - (62) 8179838410, Consulate-General in Surabaya - (62) 811311148, Consulate-General in Medan - (62) 82165631070 and Consulate-General in Denpasar - (62) 81239169767.

  • On 24 May 2017, explosions occurred near a bus station in Jakarta, resulting in casualties.

  • On 14 January 2016, a series of explosions occurred in central Jakarta, resulting in casualties.

  • In early November 2015, Mount Rinjani on Lombok erupted. Air traffic is affected and some airports including the international airports in Bali and Lombok were once closed.

  • In early July 2015, Mount Raung in East Java erupted. Air traffic was affected.

  • Political rallies were held in the period around the presidential elections on 9 July 2014.

  • Protests in different cities in end March 2012.

  • An explosion in Central Java on 25 September 2011 resulted in casualties.

  • A bomb attack in West Java on 15 April 2011.

  • Severe bomb explosions in Jakarta in July 2009.

    [ current OTA issued on 20 October 2009, 11:00 ]

Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)

Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.

Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:

Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)

Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)

Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)

Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)

Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health

Relevant Press Releases