Residents intending to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in India at 24-hour duty phone: (91) - 9810597886. The local emergency phone number to contact police is 100.
- In late February 2013, bomb attacks in the southern city of Hyderabad resulted in casualties.
- In early August 2012, there were a number of explosions in Pune, western India.
- In July 2012, violence clashes in the Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts of Assam resulted in casualties. Curfews have been imposed in various districts.
- In early September 2011, an explosion in Delhi resulted in casualties.
- In mid July 2011, explosions in Mumbai resulted in casualties.
- In early May 2011, the Indian Government issued a nationwide security alert warning.
- In early December 2010, an explosion in Varanasi resulted in casualties.
- In early November 2010, attack incidents in Assam left some dead or injured.
- Large scale anti-government demonstrations in Jammu and Kashmir resulted in casualties; visitors injured in a shooting incident in New Delhi in September 2010.
[ current OTA issued on 20 September 2010, 10:45 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)