Residents intending to visit the country should adjust their travel plans and avoid non-essential travel, including leisure travel. Those already there should monitor the situation, attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents are also urged to avoid all travel to the Sinai Peninsula. Residents in Egypt who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in Egypt at consular protection hotline: (20) 2-27363556.
- In early December 2016, a number of bomb attacks occurred in Cairo, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 31 October 2015, a flight from Sharm el Sheikh of Egypt to St Petersburg of Russia crashed in northern Sinai. Egyptian and Russian authorities are conducting an investigation. It was reported that the crash was caused by an explosive device.
- On 20 August 2015, a state security building in northern Cairo was hit by a car bomb, causing damage and injuries.
- On 11 July 2015, a car bomb went off in front of the Italian consulate in Cairo, causing damage and casualties.
- On 1 July 2015, a wave of attacks on soldiers in the Sinai Peninsula occurred, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 29 June 2015, the Prosecutor General of Egypt was assassinated in a Cairo car bombing.
- On 10 June 2015, a suicide bomb exploded at the Temple of Karnak in Luxor, a popular tourist attraction, resulting in casualties.
- In mid April 2015, a car bomb exploded outside a police station in El-Arish. Separately, a roadside bomb struck an army vehicle at Sheikh Zuweid in northern Sinai, resulting in casualties.
- In late January 2015, protests and violent clashes occurred in Cairo and Alexandria, resulting in casualties..
- In late November 2014, protests and violent clashes occurred in Cairo's Tahrir Square, resulting in casualties.
- In mid November 2014, a small bomb exploded in a train carriage on the Cairo Metro, resulting in injuries.
- In late October 2014, a bomb attack occurred at an army checkpoint in North Sinai, resulting in serious casualties. A 3-month state of emergency was declared on parts of the north and central Sinai Peninsula on 25 October 2014.
- In late September 2014, a bomb attack occurred near Egyptian Foreign Ministry in Cairo, resulting in casualties.
[ current OTA issued on 29 August 2014, 18:00 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)
Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health