Residents who plan to visit the country or are already there should monitor the situation, exercise caution, attend to personal safety, avoid travelling to places of large gatherings of people and pay attention to announcements by local authorities. Residents in Belgium who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852) 1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in the Kingdom of Belgium at consular protection hotline: (32) 476751182.
- On 25 August 2017, a knife attack on Belgian soldiers occurred in Brussels, resulting in injuries. The attacker was shot dead by the Belgian soldiers.
- On 20 June 2017, a suicide bomber detonated explosives at Brussels Central Station. He was shot dead by the Belgian troops.
- On 22 March 2016, two explosions occurred at the Brussels Airport, resulting in casualties. Further explosion was reported at the Maalbeek metro station in central Brussels. Belgium authorities raised its national threat level to the highest level 4. On 24 March 2016, the authorities revised the threat level to level 3.
- On 26 November 2015, the domestic terrorism threat level for Brussels was revised to level 3 (Serious), after six days on maximum alert of level 4 (Serious and imminent). The threat level for the rest of Belgium remained unchanged at level 3.
- On 21 November 2015, Belgian authorities raised the threat level for Brussels to level 4, recommending the public to avoid places with large gatherings of people in the Brussels region including concerts, major events, train stations and airports, public transport, and shopping districts. The metro and schools were once closed.
[ current OTA issued on 22 March 2016, 18:00 ]
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)
Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health