- On 16 February 2017, a car bomb attack occurred in Baghdad, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 31 December 2016 and 2 January 2017, bomb attacks occurred in Baghdad, resulting in serious casualties.
- On 3 July 2016, car bomb attacks occurred respectively in two commercial districts in Baghdad, resulting in serious casualties.
- In May 2016, a series of bomb attacks occurred again in Baghdad, resulting in serious casualties.
- In mid August 2015, a truck bomb exploded in a market in north-eastern Baghdad.
- In mid October 2014, a series of bomb attacks occurred in Baghdad.
- In August 2014, violent clashes in northern part of Iraq intensified.
- In mid June 2014, there were violent clashes between security forces and militants for seizing Mosul, capital of Ninewah province, and Tikrit.
Iraq is not a popular destination for Hong Kong tour groups. Residents are urged to avoid all travel to the country. Those already there should attend to personal safety and avoid protests and large gatherings of people. Residents in Iraq who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 or contact the Chinese Embassy in Iraq at consular protection hotline: (964) 7901912315.
(updated on 17 February 2017)
Registration for Outbound Travel Information (ROTI)
Before departing Hong Kong, residents may register via ROTI their travel itineraries and contact details to receive updates on OTA and related information. The Immigration Department may contact and assist the registrants in an emergency.
Hyperlinks to other travel advisories:
Outbound Travel Alert of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China (Chinese only)
Travelling and Living Overseas of British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (English only)
Travel Reports and Warnings of Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (English only)
Travel Advisories of Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (English only)
Travel Health News from Travel Health Service of the Department of Health