The Outbound Travel Alert (OTA) System aims to help people better understand the risk or threat to personal safety in travelling to 85 countries/territories that are the more popular travel destinations for Hong Kong residents (HKRs). When there are signs of threat in a place that may affect the personal safety of HKRs, the Security Bureau will assess and consider the need to issue an OTA taking into account factors such as the nature (e.g. whether it is targeted at travellers), level and duration of the threat. Should there be public health reasons, based on the alert level as advised by the Food and Health Bureau, the Security Bureau will issue an OTA on countries/territories seriously affected by infectious diseases to help the public better understand the possible health risks.
OTA Currently in Force
For travel advices or related information on foreign countries, you may also visit the websites of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China, or the databases compiled by the Australian, Canadian and the UK governments:
For information on travel to other parts of China, you may visit:
Travel Health Advice from the Department of Health
Zika virus infection
Outbreaks of Zika virus infection have been recorded in Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific. Travellers should seek medical advice before the trip and avoid mosquito bites during the trip.
Pregnant women and women preparing for pregnancy should not travel to areas with ongoing Zika virus transmission. Use of mosquito repellent containing DEET during travel and returning from these areas for a period of at least 21 days are advised for all travellers including pregnant women.
Pregnant women are advised to:
- attend antenatal follow up regularly and tell the attending doctor history of recent travel;
- observe for symptoms of Zika virus infection and seek medical advice as soon as possible if feeling unwell.
Pregnant woman should not have sex with her partner who had travelled to affected areas, or else condom should be used throughout the pregnancy.
For countries and areas with ongoing transmission, please see the Centre for Health Protection of the Department of Health webpage.
For further details, please see:
Latest information issued by the Department of Health
Latest announcements by the World Health Organization
Latest travel health news of global destinations
The Travel Health Service website of the Port Health Office of the Department of Health provides the latest disease outbreak alerts at specific destinations. For details, please visit:
Travel Health News
Other Useful Links
1. Before travelling abroad, Individuals should understand clearly the arrangements of the outbound tour and the coverage of the insurance policy before entering into any contracts with or purchasing any products or services from the service providers or suppliers.
2. Employers and employees are encouraged to come up with prior work arrangements or understanding on the need for the latter to undertake business visits to a place where an OTA is in force. For details, please see Guide to Good People Management Practices of the Labour Department.
3. HKRs who are abroad should pay attention to their personal safety. Those who need assistance may call the 24-hour hotline of the Immigration Department. For HKRs who are Chinese nationals, they may also contact the Chinese Embassy/Chinese Consulate-General in their destination. The telephone numbers and addresses of the Chinese Embassies/Chinese Consulates-General overseas can be obtained from the Immigration Department (Tel: (852) 2824 6111) or Website:
4. For health-related risks during outbound travel, please visit the relevant websites of the Department of Health (http://www.travelhealth.gov.hk/eindex.html).
HKRs are encouraged to make reference to the OTA (if any) before travelling abroad or firming up their travel plans. It is however a personal decision whether a HKR chooses to continue the journey and travel abroad. The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region accepts no liability for any loss, damage or injury arising from any cause or related to the supply or use of the OTA or other information in this website.