SGSIA Security and Guarding Services Industry Authority

Frequently Asked Questions

Security Personnel Permit (SPP)

1. Who is required to apply for an SPP?
All persons performing security work for reward must hold a valid SPP. Any individual who does, agrees to do, or holds himself out as doing or as available to do, security work for another person for reward without a valid permit commits an offence under the SGSO.

2. How to apply for an SPP?
All SPP applications should be made to the Commissioner of Police (Police Licensing Office). Application forms for the issue and renewal of a permit can be obtained from the Police Licensing Office, the Authority and District Offices of the Home Affairs Department.

Authority’s Office
Police Licensing Office
Room 813, 8/F, Kowloon East Government Offices, 12 Lei Yue Mun Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon 12/F, Arsenal House, Police Headquarters, 1 Arsenal Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

The forms can also be downloaded from the Authority’s website –

The completed application form should be returned by post, in person or sent in through employer to the Police Licensing Office. An application fee is payable on application for the issue or renewal of a permit.

More details regarding the application procedures can be viewed in the “How to Apply” section in the Authority’s website – You can also obtain the “How to Apply – Security Personnel Permit” pamphlet from the Authority’s office or the Police Licensing Office.

For enquiries, please contact the Police Licensing Office at 2860 2973.

3. Will a person with criminal offences be granted an SPP?
According to the “Criteria for Issuing a Security Personnel Permit”, no person will normally be granted a permit if he/she:–
(i) was convicted of any offence specified in column 2 of Schedule 2 to the Security and Guarding Services Ordinance and the penalty imposed on him/her for that offence is the corresponding penalty specified in column 3 of that Schedule, within 5 years before submitting his/her application; or
(ii) is currently on probation, bound over, remission or suspended sentence; or
(iii) is within 3 years of release from a term of imprisonment; or
(iv) was convicted of 3 or more offences within 5 years before submitting his/her application. Offences involving fixed penalty tickets, traffic summons, illegal hawking, article obstruction, littering, jaywalking and failing to answer Police or Court bail are considered minor and will be excluded.

4. Where can I check the list of security training courses recognized under Quality Assurance System for Recognition Scheme?
The list of recognized security training courses is available on the website of the Institute of Professional Education and Knowledge (PEAK) of the Vocational Training Council at –

The enquiry number of the PEAK is 2919 1575.


Extension of the Age Limit for Category B Security Personnel Permit to 70: Frequently Asked Questions


For enquiries, please call us at 2801 6181, fax to us at 2537 5118 or visit our office at Room 813, 8/F, Kowloon East Government Offices, 12 Lei Yue Mun Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon.

SPP Index Page